Thursday, April 1, 2010

I definitely would pull something

A few weeks ago one of my friends with me in Korea told me I could tag along to his dojo and shoot some of his Kyokushin practice. I jumped at the opportunity and got quite a show. For those of you who've never heard of this style of karate, it's a lot less wimpy than others. It focuses on power and it focuses on making sure your opponent really hurts after you've fought him. Not only did the flexibility of the participants thoroughly impress me, but the decibel created by the thwack of feet hitting punching bag also gave me some awe for the sport. Call me wimpy, but I'd never pick a fight with one of these guys.

The shoot ended up turning out well enough. The lighting was the most challenging I've worked with so far. The green of the floor mat combined with the fluorescent bulbs cast a sickly hue on everything... thank goodness for photo shop.

2 comments:

  1. "The green of the floor mat combined with the fluorescent bulbs cast a sickly hue on everything..."

    Yeah, those dojos definitely aren't designed with aesthetics in mind! My buddy's kyokushin dojo looked *exactly* the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great shots! And it makes it all the more special to see Snyder gwowing some muscwles, awww wook at hiwm! :)

    ReplyDelete